City of Yachats
ANNUAL SALARY: $45,760 – $49,920
PURPOSE OF POSITION
Perform a variety of analysis, adjustments, and maintenance tasks to operate and maintain systems, buildings, and structures, including streets, parks, storm drains, water, and wastewater systems in compliance with governing jurisdictions and to maximize the safe and efficient operation of City infrastructure.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
1. Install, inspect, operate, maintain and repair water distribution and wastewater collection systems.
2. Produce and maintain technical records and documents as required in the course of work.
3. Troubleshoot and perform extensive preventive maintenance activities. Keep inventory of parts and supplies.
4. Perform repairs and maintenance of equipment, facilities, and infrastructure of City and other related maintenance tasks for the City. Provide support for Public Works Supervisor, including maintaining equipment, plants, and City assets in general.
5. Operate heavy equipment, including backhoe, dump truck, and sludge truck.
6. Perform street repair and maintenance including asphalt patching, grading, graveling, and digging and cleaning ditches.
7. Perform brush cutting, sidearm mowing, and assist with general grounds keeping.
8. Maintain equipment and vehicles. Perform regular oil changes and minor repairs.
9. Monitor controls, mechanical, digital, electronic, and water systems and wastewater both visually and through computer monitoring systems. Analyze data and perform periodic and emergency inspections and tests of systems as necessary. Make adjustments to systems as necessary.
10. Work with water treatment and distribution systems. Read and install new water meters. Install, inspect, operate, maintain and repair water lines and install new water services.
11. Work with wastewater treatment and collections systems. Install, inspect, operate, maintain and repair storm drains, catch basins, pump stations, manholes and sewer lines.
12. Maintain cooperative working relationships with City staff, other organizations, and the public.
13. Follow all safety rules and procedures for work areas.
AUXILIARY JOB FUNCTIONS
1. May provide assistance to other department personnel as workload and staffing levels dictate.
2. Maintain proficiency by attending training and meetings, reading materials, and meeting with others in areas of responsibility.
3. Maintain work areas in a clean and orderly manner.
JOB QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
MANDATORY REQUIREMENTS: Knowledge of mechanical trades, including digital and computerized controls, device testing, mechanical, and water collection, distribution and treatment and wastewater treatment and collection systems. Knowledge of English language, reading, writing, and mathematics. Knowledge of computer systems related to the operation of public works equipment. Knowledge of laboratory analysis, pump mechanics, hydrology, and heavy equipment operation. Ability to communicate effectively using both verbal and written forms. High School diploma or G.E.D. and experience, which demonstrates the required knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the above duties.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS/LICENSES: Water Distribution I Certification; Sewer Collection I Certification, or ability to obtain certification within one year; valid driver’s license with CDL or ability to obtain with 6 months of beginning employment.
DESIRABLE REQUIREMENTS: Ability to work independently, using initiative and judgment in completing tasks. Experience in establishing and maintaining records, reports, and statistical data.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS OF POSITION:
While performing the duties of this position the employee is frequently required to sit, stand, bend, kneel, stoop, communicate, reach, climb, and manipulate objects. The position requires mobility. Many duties are physically demanding and require moving materials weighing up to 50 pounds on a regular basis and up to 100 pounds on a rare basis such as equipment, materials, concrete, etc. Mental and visual demands are required on a continuous basis, with constant alertness or activity requiring hand/eye coordination.
The majority of duties take place inside and outside of buildings with exposure to dirt, oil, noise, chemicals and all types of weather conditions on a year-round basis. Rotating “on-call” work required after normal working hours.
Work under the direction of the Public Works Supervisor. Policies, procedures, and legal requirements dictate most aspects of the work of the position. May provide training and orientation to newly assigned personnel.
This description covers the most significant essential and auxiliary duties performed by the position, but does not include other
occasional work, which may be similar, related to, or a logical assignment for the position.