City of Yoncalla
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
Under general direction of the City Administrator performs a variety of skilled tasks including planning, organizing, and directing the activities of the Public Works Department including streets, water and wastewater systems, water and wastewater treatment plants, storm drainage and building maintenance.
Thorough knowledge of the operation and maintenance of a water and wastewater system and all adjunct equipment. Thorough knowledge of sound personnel and supervisory practices. Thorough knowledge of health and safety hazards and proper precautionary measures. Ability to read and interpret maps and blueprints relative to installations of distribution systems. Application of principles and practices, methods, materials, and equipment used in the construction and maintenance of streets, water distribution and wastewater collection systems, and storm drainage. Ability to assign and evaluate work of all employees supervised by this classification, budget planning and preparation. Operation of water and wastewater treatment plants, performance of basic daily and weekly sample collections as required in the operation of a drinking water system and wastewater treatment system, preparation of reports to state and federal regulatory authorities.
EMPLOYMENT STANDARDS KNOWLEDGE OF:
Principles and practices, methods, materials, and equipment used in the construction and maintenance of streets, water distribution and wastewater collection systems, and storm drainage; Principles of supervision and personnel practices; Public works safety procedures; Budget planning and preparation.
Effectively coordinate the activities of a public works department; Communicate clearly both verbally and in writing; Accurately estimate material and labor requirements/costs; Establish and maintain effective working relationships with all city employees, elected officials and the general public. Ability to safely operate public works vehicles, equipment, and tools; as well as, ensuring all public work employees are following proper safety protocols.
REQUIRED AND PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills are required which includes the ability to translate technical data into terms understandable to the general public.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees and department heads, representatives of other public agencies and the general public is required.
- Knowledge of all of the necessary physical and personnel resources necessary in order to execute a wide variety of public works functions.
- Ability to operate a wide variety of standard and specialized equipment necessary in executing a wide variety of public works functions.
- Demonstrated ability to manage within budget limitations is required.
- Demonstrated ability to complete projects on-time is required.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, design, and execute programs and projects is required.
- General knowledge of federal and state regulations applicable to water, wastewater, and storm water management is required.
- Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator II; Wastewater Collection Operator II; Oregon Health Division Water Treatment System Operator II with Filter endorsement or an Oregon Health Division Water Treatment lll; and Water Distribution Operator II with Filter endorsement or an Oregon Health Division Water Treatment lll.
KEY PERFORMANCE AREAS:
- Provides supervision of Public Works operations, determining departmental priorities and scheduling maintenance and in-house construction projects.
- Maintains a training and safety program for employees.
- Conducts performance evaluation of employees; interview employment candidates and recommends hiring and disciplinary actions.
- Submits reports to City Administrator, and regulatory agencies as required; maintains daily and monthly records and files; assists in the bid process for the purchase of equipment.
- Prepares studies and reports; performs other related work as required.
- Hold the necessary certificates in Water Distribution and Wastewater Collection Operation.
Minimum four (4) years’ experience in a managerial capacity with a water / wastewater collection / treatment facility; or in Public Service providing construction, maintenance, or repair services. Or any equivalent combination of experience and education meeting the requirements contained herein. Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator II; Wastewater Collection Operator II; Oregon Health Division Water Treatment System Operator II with Filter endorsement or an Oregon Health Division Water Treatment lll; and Water Distribution Operator II with Filter endorsement or an Oregon Health Division Water Treatment lll.
Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance. City pays 85% for insurance coverage for employee, spouse, and dependents. Employee Assistance Program-available for employees, spouses, and dependents. Retirement-Oregon Saves Retirement Plan (PERS). Yearly Costco membership. AFLAC. Flexible Spending Account (ASI). All training and education pertaining to the job is 100% paid for including meals, mileage, and parking. Enjoy yearly weeklong conferences in Sun River or Seaside. Paid vacations, sick days and 10 paid holidays a year, and 1 floating holiday a year, paid bereavement leave (40 hours).
Monthly with draw on the 15th of the month.
How to apply:
Call Jennifer at 541-849-2152×2 or email Jennifer@cityofyoncalla.com
Learn about the City of Yoncalla on our website at: cityofyoncalla.org