City of Drain
Starting wage: $21.46 to $27.59 per hour, DOE
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES.
Performs a variety of tasks involved in the Public Works Department including operations & maintenance of the water & wastewater treatment facilities, equipment, and related systems.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS.
The treatment position involves considerable contact with the general public and interaction with office staff, public works foreman, maintenance personnel, and other public works employees.
Work is performed under the general supervision of the City Administrator and the direct supervision of the Public Works Foreman.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES.
• Operate and maintain the wastewater treatment facility and related functions. Monitor performance of treatment plant and pumping station. Collect samples and identify concentrations of chemical, physical, or biological characteristics of wastewater required in accordance with local, state, and federal requirements.
• Operate and maintain the water treatment facility and related functions. Complete lab tests and adjust chemicals to meet water purification standards. Monitor electrical and mechanical control systems. Record chemical concentrations, water production rates, and water source pressure levels.
• Operate and maintain water intake and storage reservoirs (includes impoundments & tanks).
• Operate and maintain the effluent pivot operations and sludge site operations.
• Operate and maintain the wastewater system.
• Requires computer skills to operate treatment facilities and complete, submit & file all reports required by Federal, State, DEQ, and Water Resources Departments.
• Read and report water and electric meters monthly.
• Apply fertilizers, pesticides, and herbicides as directed.
• Clean and maintain vehicles, office, & shop area.
• Maintain a sufficient level of inventory.
• Attend safety meetings and training/educational sessions.
• Required to take part in staff rotation of after hours and weekend standby time.
• Cross train in other areas to provide support and/or backup in the water distribution, wastewater collection, electrical, and maintenance departments.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
OTHER FUNCTIONAL REQUIREMENTS.
Required to push, pull, carry, bend, lift, crawl, stand, handle or feel objects/controls/tools, talk, hear, read & interpret documents and operate phone & communications radio. Occasionally, the employee must lift and/or move up to 100 pounds or more. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus.
Must be 18 years of age and possess a valid Oregon driver’s license. Also, possess a First Aid/CPR Card and Flagger’s Card or ability to obtain.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE.
Minimum high school level education. Must obtain an Oregon Class I certification in water and wastewater treatment, and Oregon Class I certifications in water distribution and wastewater collection within 16 months of hire date. Experience in water and waste water treatment and distribution a plus.
Offer of employment is contingent upon final candidate’s educational & work experience verification, background check, successful completion of pre-employment physical & chemical detection screen (conducted at City’s expense), and demonstrated ability to perform essential functions of job.
The person assigned to standby must be available to respond to emergency callouts and respond into the City within thirty (30) minutes.
The probationary period shall be a minimum of nine full months of employment.
The City of Drain values diversity in the work force and is an equal opportunity employer.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and the employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
To apply, email an application and your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail them to PO Box 158, Drain, Or 97435. If you have any questions please contact Jeni Stevens, City Administrator at 541-836-2417.