City of Clatskanie
LOCATION: Clatskanie, OR
DEPARTMENT: Public Works
DATE: February 2022
JOB TITLE: Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator II
CLASSIFICATION: Range 12 ($4572 – $5836 per month)
PURPOSE OF POSITION
The employee performs a variety of semi-skilled and skilled technical and maintenance work in the operation, maintenance and repair of wastewater treatment facilities and system. Functions as the NPDES required facility supervisor when on call.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Monitors the performance of all equipment, gauges and charts in the treatment plant and pump stations; records statical data concerning plant operations; maintains, operates, repairs, and replaces equipment as necessary; charts lab test results for trend analysis and maintains accurate records of analysis and test results; evaluates data and writes reports as required.
- Performs certain maintenance of the physical grounds and buildings of WWTP and lift stations.
- Responsible for the operation and routine maintenance of the wastewater treatment plant and ensures compliance with the discharge permit issued by the Oregon Department of Environmental Quality and regulated by the Clean Water Act.
- Responsible for the maintenance of pumps, air blowers, compressors, valves, chlorinators, and electrical panels and controls, etc., at the wastewater treatment plant and all lift stations.
- Maintains the weather station and records results including high and low temperatures and rainfall amounts.
- Performs weekend duty on a rotating basis with other public works employees.
- Assists the public works crew as required on construction projects and repairs to the City’s water distribution and sewer collection systems.
- Assists as needed on repair and maintenance projects at the water treatment plant.
- Other duties as assigned.
JOB QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
Thorough knowledge of the materials, methods, maintenance, and operation of an activated sludge wastewater treatment facility and wastewater collection and pumping systems and able to perform the essential job functions described.
Experience and Training
High school diploma or equivalent and five years relevant experience as described in the essential job functions.
Special License Requirements
Possession of a Level III Wastewater Treatment Certificate in the State of Oregon
A valid Oregon driver’s license.
Desirable License Requirements
Possession of a Level IV Wastewater Treatment Certificate.
Wastewater Collection Certificate in the State of Oregon.
AUXILIARY JOB FUNCTIONS:
May perform specialized duties depending upon individual background and abilities; assist other Public Works personnel in performing work related to the City’s public Works responsibilities as needed. Maintain job proficiency by attending training conferences and meetings, reading materials relating to WWTP operations, and meeting with others in areas of responsibility; and maintain work areas in a clean and orderly manner.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS OF THE POSITION
While performing the duties of this position, the employee can be standing on his feet for a majority of the day and sitting in a chair for as long as an hour during the workday. The employee will have to bend, stoop, and reach and manipulate controls and hand tools from awkward positions. The position requires average mobility.
Duties involve moving objects up to ten pounds on a regular basis and lifting objects weighing as much as fifty pounds above the head or away from the body on an occasional basis.
The employee will work inside the treatment plant, both in the laboratory and in the main equipment and accessory buildings. The employee will also be exposed to all types of inclement weather when job functions require exterior work.
Works under the general supervision of the Public Works Director regarding the day-to-day operations of the wastewater treatment plant and related facilities. All other supervisory functions, including discipline, vacation scheduling, etc., are supervised by the Public Works Director.
Complete City of Clatskanie application available at www.cityofclatskanie.com. Send application and resume to:
City of Clatskanie
Attn; WWTP Operator Recruitment
P.O. Box 9
Clatskanie, OR 97016
Electronic submissions are welcome. Send to: email@example.com. Please put “WWTP Operator Recruitment” in subject line. This job recruitment will remain open until filled. Selectee will be subject to a background check. Selectee will be required to move to Clatskanie area.
THIS JOB DESCRIPTION COVERS THE MOST SIGNIFICANT ESSENTIAL AND OTHER DUTIES PERFORMED BUT DOES NOT INCLUDE OTHER OCCASIONAL WORK, WHICH MAY BE SIMILAR, RELATED TO, OR A LOGICAL ASSIGNMENT TO THE POSITION.