City of Independence
General Job Description
This entry level position performs a wide variety of duties in the Public Works Department, under the general guidance and direction of the Operations Manager. Work such as vehicle, sewer, storm and street work are performed somewhat independently. Training and direction provided by Utility II and Utility III’s.
Essential Functions-Duties & Responsibilities
An employee in this classification may perform any of the following duties; however, these examples do not include all the specific tasks which an employee may be expected to perform. Duties and responsibilities are subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
- Inspects and/or repairs, meters, streets, drainage systems and sewer system at frequent intervals to ensure that all aspects of these systems are functioning properly.
- Installs and/or repairs water services and mains, street signs and street markings.
- Performs required labor involved in excavation of trenches, pipe laying, backfill and paving repair.
- Creates, finds and updates work orders and purchase orders in City Systems as required to conduct and document City business under the direction of the Operations Manager.
- Performs meter program duties as assigned.
- Maintains a variety of records relating to inspections, maintenance activity, water and sewer service locations and materials. Locates water and sewer lines for other utilities and development and city repairs.
- Responds to complaints with information on water leaks, pressure loss and evaluates related problems. Makes contacts with residents and explains service disruptions and provides related information.
- Operates and maintains light & medium- sized construction and power equipment, including but not limited to, backhoe/loader, grader, vactor truck, fork lift, pickup, dump trucks and sweeper.
- Operates computer work station to obtain and send email and accurately enter work request report information.
- Maintains, cleans, and services city vehicles and equipment, including some minor repairs.
- Performs work on city parks as directed.
- Performs city building and grounds maintenance as needed.
- Responds to system maintenance and/or emergency service calls outside of scheduled work hours while carrying a pager and working weekends on a rotational basis.
- Support a positive work environment. Treat other employees with respect. Work to resolve issues of conflicting personalities and needs.
- Performs other related duties as required or directed.
Education & Experience
- High School graduate or GED equivalency
- Must have a thorough and complete working knowledge in Microsoft office suite.
Licenses, Certifications & Other Requirements
- Pass a comprehensive background investigation.
- Must possess a valid Oregon driver’s license.
- Must obtain a Commercial Driver’s License within six months of employment.
Knowledge, Skill and Abilities
Skills and Knowledge Required
- Good working skill in operation of most of the City’s light & medium construction equipment and all power and hand tools.
- Construction and repair techniques used in the public facilities maintenance.
- Ability to read and interpret construction plans and record drawings.
- Personal computers and related software applications.
- Ability to use tools to complete carpentry, plumbing, and mechanical projects.
- Ability to promote positive public relations and provide good customer service.
- Effectively communicate and interact cooperatively with coworkers, supervisors, contractors, and the general public to complete projects.
The City of Independence offers a complete benefits package to full-time employees including health/dental/vision insurance, Voluntary Employees’ life and long-term disability insurance (city-paid and supplemental,) paid holidays, floating holidays, vacation leave, sick leave, an Employee Assistance Program, 457(b) deferred compensation plans, and employer-paid participation in the State of Oregon Public Employees Retirement System (PERS.)
These benefits packages may vary between bargaining unit members (union) and general service (non-union) employees.
Sick leave is available to all City of Independence employees, regardless of their classification.