City of Donald
Opening Date: Monday, January 30, 2017
Closing Date: Wednesday, March 1, 2017 at 4:00 p.m.
Job Title: Seasonal Laborer
Work Hours: 16 hours a week, including some weekends
Projected Start Date: April 3, 2017
Projected End Date: October 20, 2017
Reports To: Public Works Director
Wage: $12 per hour
The City of Donald is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
General Statement of Duties
The City of Donald is seeking a seasonal (April 3, 2017 to October 20, 2017) employee to assist the Public Works Department. This position performs a variety of tasks related to maintenance, cleaning, custodial, operating vehicles and mowers, light construction and equipment maintenance. Performs tasks for the maintenance of City streets, sidewalks, and City buildings. Duties also include landscaping, minor carpentry and painting. The successful candidate must have the ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions as well as work independently in performance of regular assignments. The position requires maintenance of good working relationships with other employees, supervisors and the public. The position requires performance of physical tasks in adverse weather conditions.
Typical Examples of Work
The following description sets forth the typical examples of work for this position, but does not include other occasional work which may be similar, related to, or a logical assignment to the position:
General Maintenance and Support
- Assist with the maintenance and cleaning of all city-owned and/or operated buildings and facilities. Such duties may include cleaning, both interior and exterior, vegetation control and landscaping, sidewalk/road cleaning and maintenance, minor repair and painting of buildings and equipment, moving of furniture and equipment, preventive maintenance on all equipment and maintenance of lights and security equipment.
- Assist with activities relating to community events and festivals.
- Maintain cleanliness and appearance of City owned facilities by performing such tasks as: picking up litter, cleaning restrooms, replenishing supplies, raking and removing leaves, pest control, and performing minor carpentry on park structures, benches and tables.
- Maintain grounds, mow and irrigate, control weeds by hand or by mixing and spraying, maintain/repair/replace sprinkler heads and lines, and other similar activities.
- Plant and maintain annual, perennial and wildflower beds around City buildings and landscape areas. Apply bark dust/chips, hang baskets, plant, fertilize, prune, irrigate and weed areas.
- Move sewer irrigation equipment in field, with tractor and handwork and in accordance with sewer irrigation plan.
- Monitor levels and add chemicals to equipment at sewer and water plants.
- Maintain trees around City buildings and landscape areas. Identify possible hazards from trees and report to supervisor.
- Operate and perform routine maintenance and minor repairs on equipment such as mowers, blowers, chain saws, and related implements.
- Setup benches, tables and other materials for scheduled activities. Assist other City personnel in moving materials and equipment as requested.
- Perform routine building maintenance on City’s buildings, such as cleaning, fence repair, vegetation control, painting, plumbing, carpentry and other similar tasks not requiring licensing from the State.
- Perform vegetation control in certain areas of right-of-way and around street signs and barricade
- Maintain and clean catch basin
- Paint fire hydrants.
- Maintain work areas in a clean and orderly manner.
- Follow all safety rules and procedures established for work areas.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Types of Equipment Used
Including, but not limited to, work trucks, tractors and mowers, weed eater, chain saw, and small hand tools and equipment.
This position works 16 hours per week, including some weekends. The majority of duties take place outside of buildings, with exposure to all types of weather conditions, dirt, dust, noise and chemicals.
Physical Demands of the Position
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential function of this job with or without a reasonable accommodation. Frequent repetitive motions are required including, but not limited to, hand, wrist and finger movements; daily walking, reaching, standing, talking, hearing and seeing. While performing the duties of this position, the employee is frequently required to stand, sit, communicate, reach and manipulate objects, tools or controls, and operate a motor vehicle. The position requires mobility. Many duties are physically demanding and occasionally require the movement of materials weighing up to 50 pounds. Movement of materials weighing 25 to 50 pounds may consume up to 35% of the work period. Duties require regular use of hand tools, chain saw, shovels, and operation of light and medium equipment. Activity and types of duties performed require manual coordination and dexterity.
The Seasonal Laborer works under the general supervision of the Director of Public Works.
Supervision is not a typical function assigned to this position.
Job Qualifications & Requirements
The following information describes the job qualifications and requirements; the City recognizes an equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the applicant with the knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the duties as described.
- General knowledge of pruning, turf care, trees, plants and shrubbery
- Operation of lawn mowers, small tractor, yard and hand tools, as well as equipment for repairs to city owned facilities and buildings
- Practices, methods, hazards and safety precautions of work required to perform duties
- Equipment servicing methods and techniques
Preferred Experience and Training:
- Minimum of one year of experience in similar environment, which included the regular operation of light-to-medium equipment, or any equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must possess at time of hire and maintain a valid Oregon driver’s license.
- Ability to work independently, using initiative, and judgment in completing tasks.
- Additional training in equipment operations and/or maintenance, horticulture, carpentry, etc.
The Public Works Seasonal Laborer position is an hourly, seasonal and part-time position. The wage for this position is $12.00 per hour. All wages and benefits are determined by the annual City budget.
How to Apply
Persons interested in applying should submit a signed and completed application to:
City of Donald – 10710 Main Street, PO Box 388 – Donald, OR 97020
Or Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Donald application form is available online at www.donaldoregon.gov or at Donald City Hall, 10710 Main Street N.E., Donald, OR 97020 between the hours of 8AM – 4PM Monday through Thursday and 8AM to 12PM on Fridays.
The Closing Date is Wednesday, March 1, 2017 at 4:00 p.m.
Veteran’s Preference – The City of Donald provides qualifying veterans and disabled veterans with employment preference in accordance with Oregon law. To claim veteran’s preference, you must submit a Veteran’s Preference Form (available for download on the City of Donald’s website at www.donaldoregon.gov) and the required documentation with your application material.
Pre-employment physical and criminal background check will be required.
The City of Donald is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer