City of Toledo
The Public Works Director administers, and directs all functions, activities, and operations of the Public Works Department including the City’s infrastructure (water distribution, wastewater/storm water collection, streets, fleet, facilities/property management, and parks.
The Director also acts as a member of the City’s management team, provides input on City policies, procedures, and other related issues. This position develops, oversees and is responsible for the Public Works Department budget.
Minimum Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Construction Management, Public Administration, Civil Engineering or related field and at least three (3) years of progressively responsible experience in public works operations supervising personnel and managing infrastructure projects, or
- An Associate’s Degree and five (5) years directly related experience in public works management
- Valid Oregon Driver’s License or the ability to obtain one upon acceptance of the position
- Must live within 30 minutes of Toledo within six (6) months of hire.
- Manages public works projects and contracts by developing scope of work, budget, work site inspection, coordinating with consultants and/or other governmental bodies, maintaining regulatory compliance, and recommending necessary actions to City Manager.
- Prepares annual budget recommendations and capital improvement proposals for areas of responsibility; administers, reviews, and monitors all departmental expenditures and revenues.
- Develops and implements departmental goals, objectives, practices, policies, procedures and work standards to improve efficiency and effectiveness of operations
- Responds to public or other inquiries relative to department policies and procedures
- Evaluates public works needs and formulates short and long-range plans to meet needs in all areas of responsibility, including streets, water, sewer, drainage, and engineering
- Coordinates Pubic Works activities with other departments, agencies, and jurisdictions
- Coordinates the operation of, or develops preliminary and final engineering plans and specifications; coordinates required advertising for bids and review submitted bids
Skills & Ability
- Management skills to analyze programs, policies, and operations needs
- Reading surveys; drafting plans and reports
- Planning, organizing, and directing the work of Public Works staff and crews to meet the overall objectives and goals of the City Council
- Communicating effectively both verbally and in writing
- Preparing accurate and concise reports and recommendations
- Interpreting blueprints and drawings
Salary Range: $7,469-$9,090/month & excellent benefits package.
*The duties/responsibilities, experience and certifications listed is a summary of the requirements for the position. To see a full list of the position requirements, please refer to the job description available on the city website at www.cityoftoledo.org/jobs
How to apply:
Please submit a completed cover letter, city employment application and resume to the City Recorder to the address listed below. Employment Applications are available at City Hall as well as on the City’s website at www.cityoftoledo.org/jobs.
For further information concerning the above vacancy please contact the City Recorder at (541) 336-2247 ext. 2060.
The City of Toledo is an equal opportunity employer.