Oregon Department of Environmental Quality
Initial Posting Date: 07/13/2022
Application Deadline: 08/07/2022
Agency: Department of Environmental Quality
Salary Range: $8,009 – $12,389
Position Type: Employee
Position Title: Northwest Region Administrator (Natural Resource Protection and Sustainability Administrator 1)
Northwest Region Administrator (Natural Resource Protection and Sustainability Administrator 1)
Are you passionate about preserving, enhancing, and protecting Oregon’s environment? If so, please consider a career with the State of Oregon at the Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ). At DEQ, employees have the opportunity to work with a dynamic and supportive team of mission-focused individuals tasked with maintaining, restoring, and enhancing the quality of Oregon’s air, land, and water. Here is a video about DEQ: https://youtu.be/iP3K7JoLe1k
The Oregon Department of Environmental Quality is seeking an experienced leader with passion and vision to serve as the Northwest Region Administrator (Natural Resource Protection and Sustainability Administrator 1) located in Portland, Oregon.
DEQ has a centralized policy and planning component and regional offices to accomplish its mission. There are 3 regions (Northwest, Western, and Eastern); this position serves as DEQ’s Northwest Region administrator. The Regions provide the following services: compliance inspection of regulated entities; enforcement of permit requirements and administrative rules; issuance of air, water, and solid waste permits; investigation of complaints; issuance of subsurface permits in counties; response to spills or other incidents with environmental impacts; direct contact and liaison with other governmental entities, industries, community groups and the public; and technical assistance to regulated entities and the public. Click here to view a map of all of the DEQ offices. Please consider joining an innovative team, and work to advance our agency’s mission to protect and improve Oregon’s environmental quality.
This is a full-time, executive service position. This recruitment may be used to fill future vacancies.
The Oregon Department of Environmental Quality is the chief regulatory agency of the government of the U.S. state of Oregon responsible for protecting and enhancing the state’s natural resources and managing sanitary and toxic waste disposal. At DEQ, employees have the opportunity to work with a dynamic and supportive team of mission-focused individuals tasked with maintaining, restoring, and enhancing the quality of Oregon’s air, land, and water. Here is a video about DEQ: https://youtu.be/iP3K7JoLe1k
What you will do!
You will direct the administration of all operations of DEQ’s Northwest Region to ensure the effective delivery of DEQ programs locally, including consistent implementation of DEQ’s programs, enforcement of DEQ’s rules and statutes, and effective local engagement. You will develop and implement policies, procedures, and program priorities consistent with agency policy, and will determine the most effective utilization of resources to carry out goals and objectives. You will perform supervisory functions and represent the agency before legislators, the Governor’s Office, tribal nations, local governments, and stakeholders, integrating equity into the work portfolio as a part of DEQ’s organization health and environmental justice efforts. You will serve as a liaison to representatives of other agencies and the public. In addition, you will serve as a member of DEQ’s Leadership Team.
What are we looking for?
Minimum Qualifications: 5 years of management experience in a public or private organization which included:
- Implementation of program rules and policies
- Development of long- and short-range goals and plans
- Program evaluation and process improvement
- Stakeholder and community engagement
In the “Work History” of your application, you must clearly describe your experience in each of the 4 areas listed above.
Candidates who are most competitive will also reflect the following:
- Proven leadership as a change agent with a commitment to improve the way government and public agencies operate and serve their customers.
- Experience in the development, implementation, and evaluation of strategic program rules, policies, and long- and short-range goals and plans, including budget responsibilities.
- Experience working with diverse groups and communities; skill and experience in communication and outreach to underrepresented communities; ability to build partnerships across diverse community and stakeholder groups and interests.
- Experience speaking in public forums and presenting to large groups.
- Experience leading and working in a team-based environment/organization.
- Demonstrated success leading and administering a program or regional division of a government agency or organization in a manner that builds and maintains teamwork, effective communication, and delivery of quality results.
- Proven track record of success building and maintaining an effective management team that leads change management to support employees through program, policy, and other changes.
- Management experience in a government agency or organization; management experience with a union represented employer.
- Demonstrated skill in advising executives and other decision-makers; political awareness; excellent verbal and written communication, organizational, and interpersonal skills.
- Experience with budgeting principles and processes, especially as they relate to program management.
- Ability to be resourceful and pay attention to detail; ability to switch priorities or projects seamlessly; excellent project management skills.
- Experience in strategic planning, plan implementation, succession planning, and change management.
- Ability and experience managing human, financial, and informational resources in a manner that instills employee and public trust, and accomplishes the organization’s mission.
THE OREGON DEPARTMENT OF ENVIRONMENTAL QUALITY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY, AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER COMMITTED TO WORKFORCE DIVERSITY.
The Oregon Department of Environmental Quality strives to build and sustain an inclusive environment that embraces and values diversity. Employees at all levels of the agency work together to foster fairness, equity, inclusion, and belonging. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, ethnicity, veteran, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age, or physical or mental disability. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job, and that candidate may not meet every one of our listed preferred qualifications. Lived experience may count towards the preferred qualification. If you are excited about this position, we encourage you to apply. If you are unsure as to whether or not you meet the qualifications of this position, please contact us to discuss your application.
Most work is performed in a professional office setting with multiple demands on time; some telework is availaible. There is frequent work under tight deadlines that include extended working hours during legislative sessions or emergencies. This position may be contacted and requested to return to work outside of normal working hours, including on evenings or weekends. This position requires frequent travel via car on official State business to other locations for meetings, trainings, conferences, public hearings, and other work-related reasons that may include overnight stays.
What’s in it for you!
DEQ cares deeply about employee wellness and benefits. You will receive a comprehensive, competitive, and affordable benefits, leave, and wellness package, including:
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- 11 paid holidays
- 10 hours of vacation per month, eligible to be used after 6 months of service
- 8 hours of sick leave per month, eligible to be used as accrued
- 24 hours of personal business leave per fiscal year, eligible to be used after 6 months of service
- Optional life insurance packages
- Flexible spending accounts
- Membership in the Oregon Public Employees Retirement System (PERS)
- Optional deferred compensation retirement program
- Opportunity to potentially receive loan forgiveness under the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF)
- Continuous growth and development opportunities
- Opportunities to serve your community and make an impact through meaningful work
- A healthy work/life balance, including flexible schedules and hybrid work options for many positions
- Resume and cover letter are required.
- Allow yourself plenty of time to complete and submit the application, resume, and cover letter.
- Workday will timeout after 20 minutes of inactivity.
- This posting closes at 11:59 PM on the close date listed.
- Please save a copy of the job announcement for your reference, as it may not be available for you to view after the job posting closes.
- Be sure to check both your email and Workday account for updates regarding this recruitment.
- Workday performs best in Google Chrome.
- Click here for Resources and a Job Support Page.
Help Your Application Rise to the Top!
Your candidate profile, cover letter, and resume are the perfect opportunity to highlight your interest in the position and showcase your amazing skills and experience. Candidates whose training and/or experience most closely match the requirements and needs of the position and who attach all necessary documents will be eligible for an interview. Submissions will be screened for consistency of information and communication skills at the professional level (attention to detail, spelling, grammar, etc.). Please make sure your attributes and the minimum qualifications are clearly demonstrated in your application materials.
DEQ provides veterans’ preference points to all eligible veterans. For more information on veterans’ preference, please visit Veterans Resources, or call the Oregon Department of Veterans’ Affairs at: 1-800-692-9666. For privacy reasons, please do not attach veterans’ preference documents when initially applying. You will be asked to submit those later.
As an employer, the State of Oregon complies with HB 2005, the Pay Equity Bill. We do not discriminate on the basis of protected class in the payment of wages, and we do not screen applicants on the basis of their current or past compensation. Please visit http://www.oregon.gov/das/hr/pages/equity.aspx for more information. Please note: the salary listed is the non-PERS qualifying salary range. If the successful candidate is PERS qualifying, the salary range will reflect an additional 6.95% (6% goes to PERS and .95% covers payroll taxes). Please review the Classification and Compensation page for more details.
DEQ does not offer visa sponsorships. On the first day of employment, all hires will be required to complete the US Department of Homeland Security’s Form I-9, confirming authorization to work in the United States. In addition, hires will have three business days from their first day of employment to present documents that establish employment authorization and identity. DEQ is an E-Verify employer and will use E-Verify to confirm that hires are authorized to work in the United States.
If you have questions about the recruitment or need assistance to participate in the application process, please contact Rebecca Zanskar, Human Resources Analyst, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (503) 807-8937. TTY users: please use the Oregon Telecommunications Relay Service at 1-800-735-2900.