City of Rogue River
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
Performs skilled and semi-skilled tasks in the maintenance of city parks, buildings and grounds, and the operation of public works structures and facilities; does related work as required.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASSIFICATION:
Incumbents perform duties in a training capacity. May work independently reading and repairing water meters and, as a member of a crew on street, water and sewer projects.
Work is performed under the supervision of the Public Works Director, but requires initiative, judgement and responsibility in dealing with malfunctions and emergency situations.
Supervision is rarely a responsibility of this position; however, supervision may be provided to both other Public Works employees and volunteers.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Monthly meter readings; the repair, replacement, cleaning, and testing of water meters; installation of new water lines, maintenance and repair old or broken main water lines, valves, fire hydrants, well pumps, and water reservoirs; routine maintenance related to the treatment of water; and,
- Installation of new sewer lateral and main lines making repairs or replacement of broken or damaged lines, pumps, and overall maintenance to assure trouble-free system operation; and,
- General janitorial services for all city buildings, clean-up of City parks, road right-of-ways, and open ditches, including vegetation control; and,
- Road crew operations, including flagging duties.
KEY PERFORMANCE AREAS:
- Reads and records water meters and performs turn on/offs.
- Maintains meter boxes and surrounding area.
- Repairs and replacement of, and troubleshooting water meters.
- Installs, repairs and maintains water distribution system including meters, fire hydrants, service lines and mains.
- Performs general maintenance and repairs of sewer collection system including lines, laterals and manholes.
- Maintains and repairs streets, alleys and right-of-ways which include patching pavement; cleaning and repairing sidewalks, curbs, and streets; painting crosswalks and curbs.
- Maintains storm drainage system by cleaning and repairing ditches, storm drainage lines, and catch basins.
- Repairs and replaces street regulatory, directional and informational signs.
- Operates light and medium construction equipment including dump truck, mowers and various power tools.
- Performs routine maintenance on city buildings, parks, and vehicles.
- Performs other related work as required and directed.
- Operates Water and Wastewater Treatment facilities.
High school graduation or GED; preference given to Associate’s Degree in related field or any satisfactory combination of experience and training which demonstrates the knowledge, skills and ability to perform the above described duties.
EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING:
Eighteen months of experience and training which has provided specific knowledge in the area assigned. Possession of or ability to obtain necessary Oregon CDL driver’s licenses, and any certification required by state or federal agencies to work in the classification assigned.
Proper use of appropriate hand and power tools for the performance of their duties, maintenance, repair and installation of water meters; safe use of vehicles, tools, materials and equipment required to perform duties; practices, methods, hazards and safety precautions required to perform duties; operation of water and wastewater treatment facilities maintenance of distribution and collection systems.
Safe operation of assigned vehicles, equipment, machinery and tools and the ability to keep them orderly and clean.
Understand and carry out oral and written instructions; work independently in performance of regular assignments; establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, supervisors and the general public; perform physical tasks in adverse weather conditions; sufficiently perform the physical requirements of the classification.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS – CERTIFICATION AND LICENSING:
Possession of or ability to obtain a valid Oregon CDL driver’s license; possession of a Water Treatment Level I or a Water Distribution Level I certification, and the ability to obtain another Level I certification within 18-months, and any other certification required by state or federal agencies to continue work in the position assigned.
Certification in Water Distribution I or Water Treatment I (with expectation and the ability to obtain the other within 18-months of appointment).
Application of principles, practices, and methods, to materials and equipment used in the construction and maintenance of buildings, out buildings, streets, parks, water distribution and treatment, storm drainage, wastewater collection and treatment systems.
Bondable; educational and experience verification. Demonstrate ability to perform essential functions.
COMPENSATION TYPE: Bi – Monthly
FLSA EXEMPTION STATUS: Non-Exempt
JOB GRADE: Entry level through Step 5
Method of Application and Closing Date:
Will remain open until position if filled. Applications may be obtained by contacting:
City of Rogue River
Rogue River, Oregon 97537
The City of Rogue River is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, gender, national origin or disability.