Oregon Department of Environmental Quality
Initial Posting Date: 04/14/2023
Application Deadline: 04/30/2023
Agency: Department of Environmental Quality
Salary Range: $4,688 – $7,175
Position Type: Employee
Position Title: Drinking Water Protection Specialist (Natural Resource Specialist 3 / Natural Resource Specialist 2 – Underfill)
The Oregon Department of Environmental Quality strives to build and sustain an inclusive environment that embraces and values diversity. Employees at all levels of the agency work together to foster fairness, equity, inclusion, and belonging. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, ethnicity, veteran, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age, or physical or mental disability. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job, and that candidate may not meet every one of our listed preferred qualifications. Lived experience may count towards the preferred qualification. If you are excited about this position, we encourage you to apply. If you are unsure as to whether or not you meet the qualifications of this position, please contact us to discuss your application.
Are you passionate about preserving, enhancing, and protecting Oregon’s environment? If so, please consider a career with the State of Oregon at the Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ). At DEQ, employees have the opportunity to work with a dynamic and supportive team of mission-focused individuals tasked with maintaining, restoring, and enhancing the quality of Oregon’s air, land, and water. Here is a video about DEQ: https://youtu.be/E-Cs6M9AAlU
The Oregon Department of Environmental Quality has a full-time opportunity available for a Drinking Water Protection Specialist (Natural Resource Specialist 3 / Natural Resource Specialist 2 – Underfill) in Portland, Oregon.
Please consider joining an innovative team, and work to advance our agency’s mission to protect and improve Oregon’s environmental quality. The Water Quality Division has a critical role in achieving the Department’s mission by developing policy, implementation tools, and implementation priorities for improving and protecting the quality of water in Oregon’s waterways. The Water Quality Division works cooperatively with the Department’s three regional offices and the Laboratory to deliver programs and services that protect and enhance the quality of the waters of the state to protect public health and the environment.
Click here to view a map of all of the DEQ offices.
What you will do!
You will work with DEQ and Oregon Health Authority (OHA) staff to develop strategies under authority of the Clean Water Act to meet the goals and objectives of the 1996 Safe Drinking Water Act for source water protection. You will provide technical assistance to internal staff, public water systems, local governments, and the public for understanding drinking water sources and issues regarding pollutants, sources of contamination, and risks to public water systems.
What’s in it for you!
The opportunity to work in a productive and creative environment where no two days are ever the same! We offer a competitive benefits package that offers comprehensive medical, dental, and vision plans for the employee and their qualified family members, as well as paid sick leave, vacation leave, personal leave, and 11 paid holidays a year. In addition, we offer membership in the Public Employees Retirement System (PERS), and you have the opportunity to potentially receive loan forgiveness under the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF). If you are passionate about Oregon’s environment, apply today!
This is a full-time, AFSCME represented position.
This recruitment may be used to fill future vacancies.
What are we looking for?
Minimum Qualifications for Natural Resource Specialist 3:
- Bachelor’s degree in physical science, environmental science, natural resources, or a closely related field, AND 3 years of experience in a natural resource or environmental field (an equivalent combination of education and experience is acceptable)
- At least 1 year of experience at a technical or professional level performing activities in a natural resource program such as researching and analyzing data, conducting investigations, applying pertinent laws and regulations, or coordinating and monitoring project activities
Minimum Qualifications for Natural Resource Specialist 2:
- Bachelor’s degree in physical science, environmental science, natural resources, or a closely related field, AND 2 years of experience in a natural resource or environmental field (an equivalent combination of education and experience is acceptable)
The underfill option is available to you if you do not meet the minimum qualifications for the Natural Resource Specialist 3 upon hire. In order to retain this appointment, you must be able to meet the minimum qualifications for the Natural Resource Specialist 3 within 3 years of employment.
Candidates who are most competitive will also reflect the following:
- Demonstrated understanding of environmental justice and the historical impacts for marginalized and underrepresented communities; ability to take personal responsibility for increasing their knowledge of environmental justice and diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging.
- Working knowledge of surface water and groundwater interactions, technical water quality issues, groundwater principles, nonpoint and point sources of contamination, and contamination transport as these relate to the ability to provide sound technical assistance to local governments, natural resource agencies, and public water providers.
- Proficiency in GIS, R, and database software for analysis, map making, and project tracking; ability to complete GIS and statistical analysis, and ability to advise users on geographic data display and interpretation.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; ability to provide clear, concise, and compelling communication of policy and technical information tailored to the needs of diverse audiences; skill in writing and presenting clear and concise reports that include qualitative and quantitative analyses, recommendations, and conclusions to diverse audiences.
- Experience developing outreach materials to communicate technical data to small water system owner/operators and their communities that are unfamiliar with the subject matter.
- Knowledge of and experience working within Oregon Water Quality laws/rules, Federal Clean Water Act, Safe Drinking Water Act, State Source Water Assessment and Protection Guidance Manual, EPA policies and procedures, and Groundwater Protection Act.
Work is generally performed in an office setting. There will be occasional travel for meetings, conferences, workshops, and trainings. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required
How to Apply: https://oregon.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/SOR_External_Career_Site/job/Portland–DEQ–Multnomah-Street/Drinking-Water-Protection-Specialist–Natural-Resource-Specialist-3—Natural-Resource-Specialist-2—Underfill-_REQ-119629?hiringCompany=47688ccd4cac01975819509ec223d131
- Be sure to attach a resume and cover letter.
- Allow yourself plenty of time to complete and submit the application, resume, and cover letter.
- Workday will timeout after 15 minutes of inactivity.
- This posting closes at 11:59 PM on the close date listed.
- Please save a copy of the job announcement for your reference, as it may not be available for you to view after the job posting closes.
- Be sure to check both your email and Workday account for updates regarding this recruitment.
- Workday performs best in Google Chrome.
- Click here for Resources and a Job Support Page.
Please Note: In addition to your related work experience and education, DEQ will use the desired attributes and minimum qualifications above, under the “What are we looking for?” section to determine whom to interview. Please make sure your attributes and minimum qualifications are clearly demonstrated in your application material.
DEQ provides veterans’ preference points to all eligible veterans. For more information on veterans’ preference, please visit Veterans Resources, or call the Oregon Department of Veterans’ Affairs at: 1-800-692-9666. For privacy reasons, please do not attach veterans’ preference documents when initially applying. You will be asked to submit those at a later time.
As an employer, the State of Oregon complies with HB 2005, the Pay Equity Bill. We do not discriminate on the basis of protected class in the payment of wages, and we do not screen applicants on the basis of their current or past compensation. Please visit http://www.oregon.gov/das/hr/pages/equity.aspx for more information. Please note: the salary listed is the non-PERS qualifying salary range. If the successful candidate is PERS qualifying, the salary range will reflect an additional 6.95% (6% goes to PERS and .95% covers payroll taxes). Please review the Classification and Compensation page for more details.
DEQ does not offer visa sponsorships. On the first day of employment, all hires will be required to complete the US Department of Homeland Security’s Form I-9, confirming authorization to work in the United States. In addition, hires will have three business days from their first day of employment to present documents that establish employment authorization and identity. DEQ is an E-Verify employer and will use E-Verify to confirm that hires are authorized to work in the United States.
If you have questions about the recruitment or need assistance to participate in the application process, please contact Maddy Ouye, Human Resources Analyst, at email@example.com or (503) 347-5759. TTY users: please use the Oregon Telecommunications Relay Service at 1-800-735-2900.
Are you interested in an Informational Interview with DEQ to learn more about working at DEQ, how current DEQ employees got to where they are today, and what opportunities there may be for you at DEQ? Please go here and complete the form: https://www.oregon.gov/deq/about-us/Pages/humanresources.aspx. Please note that informational interviews are not tied to an open recruitment. If you complete the form above, you will be put in the queue to have an informational interview with a Hiring Manager from our Informational Interview Registry.